Assistant Teachers Program
The presence of assistant teachers smooths out the transition to Kindergarten and a new “big” school by:
- reducing the student/adult ratio in the classroom, and
- ensuring PS 9 students enjoy significant individual attention.
- help our young children settle into the classroom in the morning
- guide them through the classroom and school routines
- assist them with their snack and lunch
- support and guide them during their classroom work
- escort them to enrichment classes, library visits, and learning specialists sessions
- lead breakout and small group sessions
- review and evaluate student work
- manage red folder communication with parents
Thanks to the funds raised by CMI, assistant teachers are provided in all classrooms for the full school day. In addition, the school maintains a floating Assistant Teacher to ensure there is coverage when a teacher is out, or when a classroom needs extra support for a project or event. Most of our assistant teachers are either currently attending or have recently completed a Master’s level teacher training program.